Changi Cross

1942
Metal
On loan from the family of Reverend Eric Cordingly
Singapore

The Changi Cross took pride of place on the altars of all four versions of St George's Church.

The cross was a feat of several POWs' resourcefulness and ingenuity. It was designed by Reverend Cordingly and fashioned by Staff Sergeant Harry Stogden using the casing of a 4.5” howitzer shell and strips of brass from camp workshops. Sapper Tim Hemmings then used a sharpened steel umbrella spike to engrave the badges of the four regiments that made up the original congregation of the church.

Reverend Cordingly brought the cross back to Cheltenham after the war. In 1992, his family decided to loan the cross permanently to Changi Chapel and Museum, and returned to set it once more on the altar of a chapel in Singapore.

1 20210628CCM292
Share this