The Patron of Heritage Awards was inaugurated by the National Heritage Board (NHB) in 2006 to recognise organisations and individuals who have given generously to heritage causes.
This year’s awards celebrate the contributions of donors that were received between January and December 2019.
Our patrons have not only bestowed invaluable artworks, family heirlooms and monetary gifts, but have also shared with us their rich expertise and valuable time. We sincerely thank all of them for their wonderful contributions towards the culture and heritage scene. Our cultures and heritage form the basis of who we are as Singaporeans.
As part of Our SG Heritage Plan, safeguarding and promoting our intangible cultural heritage is one of the key focus areas of NHB’s work. At this year’s Patron of Heritage Awards ceremony, we showcase some of the inaugural recipients of The Stewards of Singapore’s Intangible Cultural Heritage Award, earlier announced in June, which recognises practitioners who are dedicated to the promotion and transmission of their practices; Kway
Guan Huat Joo Chiat Popiah, Thow Kwang Industry Pte Ltd. and Sri Warisan Som Said Performing Arts Ltd.
The National Heritage Board thanks all patrons for their continued support.
Scope of the Awards
Various contributions can be considered for the Patron of Heritage Awards. They include donations in cash, in-kind, artworks, artefacts, and archival materials. The awards also cover the promotion and conservation of aspects of heritage relating to our architecture, community, society and culture.
Recipients of such donations could be private or non-profit institutions, which may include:
- Museums, galleries and heritage centres
- Educational institutions
- Volunteer groups, societies, IPCs
- Private museums and galleries
- Companies and organisations involved in cultural activities
To be eligible for the Patron of Heritage Awards, organisations or individuals must have fulfilled either of the following during the qualifying period (typically the calendar year):
- Contributed artefacts, artworks or archival materials to the collection of any museum or heritage institution in Singapore
- Contributed to the building and development of museums and heritage institutions in Singapore
- Played a pivotal role in creating memorable heritage events for the community at large
- Contributed to publications and scholarships related to heritage
In the year 2013 NHB introduced a new 'Supporter' category, which gives recognition to gifts valued between S$10,000 and S$49,999. This allows more individuals and corporations to be acknowledged for their support.
The Awards Criteria are given based on the following seven categories.
Donations in cash, kind or material:
- Distinguished Patron: S$2 million and above
- Patron: From S$1 million to S$1,999,999
- Partner : From S$150,000 to S$999,999
- Friend: From S$50,000 to S$149,999
- Supporter: From S$10,000 to S$49,999 (New category)
Long-term loans (5 years or more) of materials (artefacts, artworks and others) within the qualifying period:
- Distinguished Supporter of Heritage: Value of items worth S$1 million or more
- Supporter of Heritage: Value of items less than $1 million